keywords: ip pbx voip gateway gsm gateway

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
× Questions about A400/800/1200 Analog Interface Card

A400 for "Full Period" Circuit

15 years 5 months ago #2271 by cjm
I have an unusual need that I'm curious to see if the A400P can meet.

Rather than a conventional FXO/FXS application, I need to connect two endpoints with an always on audio circuit. The telephone companies used to call these "full period circuits," or "full period allocated circuits."

The purpose is to connect a public safety two way radio transmitter/receiver at a remote location to a dispatch center over an ethernet link, rather than a dedicated copper wire circuit.

The radio equipment is compatible with either 2 wire or 4 wire service. Functions are controlled by tones sent in band along with transmit audio. Talk battery and ringing current ARE NOT used.

It occurred to me that two Asterisk (Trixbox) computers, one at the dispatch center, and one at the remote transmitter site might be capable of this over an IAX2 trunk. And I thought perhaps the A400P with FXO module might work, but I don't know how I might configure Asterisk for this unusual function.

Any ideas? Or is it even possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.
15 years 5 months ago #2276 by miaolin
If your line can feed power like normal pstn line, you can use the fxo port to connect, put a Answer at the beginingg of the context should make sense
15 years 5 months ago #2288 by cjm
Unfortunately, radio dispatch equipment does not feed power (like talk battery) to phone lines. All that is sent is audio, because dispatch consoles and transceivers of this type do not rely on 48 volt talk battery, and they don't use ringing current.
15 years 5 months ago #2289 by JRayfield
Sending the control tones over the path, using Asterisk, may not work. Most VOIP doesn't pass single tones well at all (severe distortion). I haven't tried using an Asterisk system, but Cisco had a terrible time getting their VOIP equipment/systems to work for a long time.

I've had a lot of experience with this (I own a commercial 2-way communications business) and have set up remoted radio systems over ethernet, and can give you some suggestions of what will work well.

You can email me direct if you'd like: johnjr 'at' rayfield.net

John Rayfield, Jr.
Rayfield Communications, Inc.
15 years 5 months ago #2291 by cjm
Thanks, John. I'll email you.
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds